A family history!
The story of Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec began in 1975, when the big hotel chains were moving into the National Capital. It was a trend that seemed to spell a slow death for the local hotels.
Robert Girard and his wife Pierrette Verreault
Robert Girard, with his expert eye for the real-estate business, makes a good deal in buying a hotel on Grande-Allée. He didn't hesitate about the hours of work and the investment it would take to put his own stamp on the small hotel.
Into the venture, he soon brought his 21-year-old son Alain. Alain would learn the hotel trade from the ground up, soon earning the nickname “The Challenge” for his enthusiasm and energy.
After several years as CEO of Hôtel Château Laurier Québec, Alain Girard ceded his responsibilities as CEO to his daughter Aude. Their rapport is driven by a shared passion: Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec!
A great brand is born
In the last 40 years, the successive acquisitions of the magnificent upper-middle-class homes next door enabled Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec to become a reference in Quebec City. The Hotel today offers a wide range of services and amenities, such as:
- 282 rooms and suites
- 17 meeting and reception rooms
- Indoor saltwater swimming pool
- Fitness room
- Indoor parking area
- Inner courtyard known as the Four Seasons Garden
A cultural and architectural legacy
Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec's neighbours include:
- Quebec National Assembly
- Quebec City Armoury
- Plains of Abraham
The Hotel is just a few steps away of the fortifications reminding the military past of Quebec City: the Porte Saint-Louis, the Porte d'Auteuil and the famous Citadelle, the most important British fortress built in North America.
In many of the Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec's reception rooms, fine woodwork and high ceilings of rare and exotic wood confer a unique and distinguished character to the Hotel.
Historic dates at Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec:
- 1889 Row houses are built along Grande Allée by Louis Bilodeau, based on plans by architect Joseph-Ferdinand Pichy.
- 1947 Hotel Château Laurier is founded by Lucien Plamondon in a series of row houses on Grande-Allée.
- 1975 The Girard Family acquires the Hotel Chateau Laurier Quebec. Cogirès Group formed.
- 1980 The Girard Family acquires the Hotel Manoir Lafayette.
- 1992 Manoir Lafayette is expanded from 8 rooms to 69.
- 1999 First expansion phase: from 57 rooms to 112
- 2001 Second construction phase: from 112 rooms to 154
- 2002 Cogirès Group acquires the property at 650 Wilfrid-Laurier (perpendicular to Grande-Allée) for a major expansion project.
- 2005 The Girard Family undertakes their largest construction project ever: an addition of more than 90 suites, 10 meeting and reception rooms, ballroom, swimming pool, fitness centre, plus indoor parking and an inner courtyard
- 2007 Official opening of the newly improved hotel
- 2014 Complete renovation of the Grande Allée wing and inauguration of the Ultra section and De la Colline and George V meeting rooms
At a glance
Downtown Québec City hotel located near the historic walled city. Full service hotel with restaurant St-Hubert, Institut Payot spa, indoor salt water pool, sauna, two year-round outdoor spas. 282 spacious guestrooms, 17 meeting space and an inner four season garden. Award-winning catering facilities George-V Quebec's premiere event caterer.More details